The herb bed was planted on the 23rd April 2009 by a team of about 75 year 4 and 5 students from our three local primary schools, St Johns Walworth, Robert Browning, English Martyrs. Around 365 plants were planted over three hours of the following species.
· Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla)
· Lavender (Lavandula ang. ‘Hidcote’)
· Common Myrtle (Myrtus communis)
· Southern Wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum)
· Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)
· Pink Cat/Catmint (Nepeta nervosa)
· Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
· Pineapple Sage (Salvia elegans)
· Common Sage (Salvia officinalis)
· Winter Savory (Satureja montana)
· Common Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
Since then, the Friends have looked after the herb bed in conjunction with Southwark Council. The Lavender, Rosemary, Sage and Mint (planted subsequently) have done best. Keeping control of the bindweed, which is endemic in the border, is constant challenge… please feel free to pull out a bindweed plant or two when you pass by (plants can be put in the brown bin at 102 Brandon Street)!