The area around Nursery Row Park, used as market gardens in the 18th Century, has seen extensive building and rebuilding. The routes of Orb St (originally called Nelson Place) and East St (originally Richmond Place) are the only things that survive. Brandon St replaced a terrace called Camden St in the late 1880s, but resited eastwards, and with the connection between Brandon St and East St being made only in the late 1950s
This series of six maps illustrates the changes.
In the Rocque map of London, what is now Nursery Row Park was on the site of market gardens in the area known as Locks Fields.
By 1819 housing was encroaching on the market gardens.
By 1875 the entire area had been built over, with no green space left.
In 1885 the local MP paid for some housing to be demolished to provide a play area then known as East Street Recreation Ground.
The park was still the same size in 1963 – and until 1980 when it was enlarged again.
The park has remained it’s current size since 1980.